National Officers' Blog

Wednesday, February 17, 2010

The Adventures of Alex: Japan Recap

After some time to reflect on our team’s trip to Japan, the biggest lesson I’ve learned from the Japanese culture is the art of courtesy. I’m not just talking about saying “thank you” (domo arigato) or “excuse me” (sumimasen); rather, the Japanese people that we came into contact with ensured that every little detail of our trip was treated with the utmost attention, forethought and care. At every hotel, visit and tour I felt more like a VIP than small-town Michigander Alex Henry.


Courtesy Case #1: It is customary for Americans to wait for everyone at their table to be served before eating. But, in Japan restaurant guests begin eating as soon as their food arrives at the table. Why? Cooks and restaurant staff in Japan rush food to their customers moments after it's done cooking, piping hot and fresh.


Courtesy Case #2: A few days into our trip, we stayed at a traditional Japanese hotel called the Ryokan. We enjoyed sleeping on tatami mats, eating traditional Japanese feasts and wearing gorgeous yukatas (casual Japanese robes). But what really blew me away were the welcome and goodbye receptions hosted by the hotel’s staff. When we arrived, we were met by two men in suits ready to help us with our things. Three women in kimonos were waiting for us at the door and ushered us into a tea room where they took our drink orders, offered us sweets and explained all the services the hotel offered.
Our departure from the Ryokan was just as special. Two men in suits loaded our things on the bus and all of the staff we had met throughout our stay gathered to bow to each of us as we loaded the bus. While we settled into our seats, each member of the staff loaded the bus to say their personalized thank you and goodbye. After 10 minutes of goodbyes, we pulled away and waved and bowed to the staff until they were out of sight. All of the Ryokan employees stood outside in the snow and freezing temperatures for at least 15 minutes to say thank you, wish us a pleasant trip and wave to us until our bus disappeared into the distance. The staff at the Ryokan refined courtesy into an art form.


Courtesy Case #3: During our home stay, my family asked me 100 questions the first night I arrived. I answered everything from my favorite breakfast food to my favorite things to do in my free time. When I woke up the next morning, I found three bags of cereal (one remarkably similar to Frosted Flakes which I think are GRRRRRREAT!) waiting for me at the breakfast table. On the way back to my host family’s home that night, we pulled into a huge building with lighted, flashing signs in Japanese. I walked in behind them and realized that they had taken me to a Japanese movie rental store! They marched straight over to the English movies and told me to pick as many as I wanted. That’s not just being polite. That’s sincere courtesy for not only my needs, but my preferences.

From service at restaurants, the personalized treatment at the Ryokan and the sincere consideration of my host family, I learned a valuable lesson from my trip to Japan. Courtesy isn’t an obligation; it’s an expectation. Respect isn’t general; it’s personalized. Genuine care isn’t a bonus; it’s the Japanese way of life.

So what can we do to show our peers Japanese courtesy in our day-to-day lives? Make a carb-loaded dinner for a friend before their big sports game. Take the time to write a sibling a note when you know they have a big math test that day. Stay after class to let a teacher know how much you appreciate their hard work. Courtesy isn’t hard. It isn’t expensive. Yet, it holds great value.

1 Comments:

At February 22, 2010 at 11:04 AM , Anonymous Ivan said...

That's so true my friend. I really, really like your stories. But this one particularly has been so entertaining and inspiring for me that I have no doubts, from now on I'm an Alex-fan!! =] GBY & Take care.

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home