National Officers' Blog

Sunday, January 10, 2010

The Adventures of Alex


It’s hard to describe. You’re standing there with some of the most amazing people from across the country, thinking, “Please say my name! Please say my name! Please say my name!” The Chicago Bulls’ song starts, the lights drop and the stomachs of all 39 candidates twist into a knot.

Some of the thoughts that went through my mind before the announcement:

-Wow there a lot of phenomenal candidates!
-Is this the longest convention session in history?!
-Did the chair of the nominating committee prepare a whole keynote or does it just feel like Thomas Griffin is talking forever?
-Don’t cry. Don’t cry. (Oops! Too late.)

Then the music heightened and I began to hear the names of my future teammates. Your Central Region Vice President…. From the state of Montana, CHASE ROSE!!! If you watch the video, everyone in the convention hall could hear him scream.

Your Southern Region Vice President….from the state of Tennessee, CHELSEA DOSS!!! Chelsea managed to keep her cool and get herself onstage with composer and poise. I started to wonder if they ever were going to get to my region.

Your Western Region Vice President…from the state of Texas, RANDA BRAUNE!!! Randa sprinted to the stage and sported possibly the biggest smile I’ve ever seen (in true Texas fashion).

Then f-i-n-a-l-l-y (Thomas didn’t say that. Just commentary!), your Eastern Region Vice President… insert the longest pause of my life… from the state of Mmm-do you realize how many “M” states there are?! -ichigan, ALEX HENRY!!!!!!!

I couldn’t believe it! My legs gave out and my eyes started leaking like crazy. I gasped for air as everyone pushed me toward the aisle. I don’t remember how I got up the stairs; I just remember having to slow myself down on the way up because I almost biffed it in front of 50,000 people!

I joined three of my friends that would soon become family and listened as Thomas announced:

Your National FFA Secretary… from the state of Kansas, BETHANY BOHNENBLUST!!! Bethany glided down the stairs and gracefully pranced up on stage. If you don’t believe me, check the video.

Your National FFA President… from the state of California, LEVY RANDOLPH!!! Levy could have been in the Olympics that day. He outran Paul and looked more like a flash of light than a person as he soared onstage.

As we stood on stage, I couldn’t smile big enough to convey all the happiness in my heart.

The rest of the day was a blur with interviews, a reception with the retiring officers, debrief meeting and dinner with my family and friends. To be honest, it seems more like a dream than reality.

That Saturday of convention was one of the most emotional, nerve-racking, exciting, phenomenal days of my life! But not because of October 24, 2009 itself. Rather, that was the day I was blessed with something I thought was unattainable. It was the day that I began to live my life’s dream. It was the day I got five new family members, a new mentor and the opportunity to travel the world for the next year, meeting the most awesome people the globe has to offer.

It was the day that started, “The Adventures of Alex.”

Election Video

2 Comments:

At January 13, 2010 at 4:13 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Alex,

Thank you for your emotionally vivid and beautifully written recollection of Saturday afternoon, October 24, 2009. The joy I experienced watching you realize and live your dream was truly amazing. That is a day and a moment I will remember forever!

 
At January 25, 2010 at 1:06 PM , Anonymous Ivan Martes said...

Your story made me feel like I was there agian. I was getting anxious, my heart was beating like crazy . . . =)

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home