National Officers' Blog

Wednesday, March 24, 2010

Chelsea's Travels: Kansas City

WHERE IT ALL STARTED.......
FFA was founded in 1928 in Kansas City, MO at the Hotel Baltimore. For years, members attended National FFA Convention in Kansas City until convention moved to Louisville and then to Indianapolis. As a young member, I was mesmerised with the story of the 33 farm boys from 18 states who started it all. They envisioned an organization where they might share their interests in agriculture and build a strong foundation for their careers. As I traveled throughout the Kansas City area meeting with sponsors and spending time with Bethany and Mrs. Brubeck from the FFA Foundation, I thought back to the stories my advisor at Eagleville High School, Bruce Haley, used to share with me.





This is the cite of the Hotel Baltimore. The city commemorates the FFA founding with this large emblem and a plaque explaining the historical event.


For 70 years, FFA members roamed these very streets. Generations of students have grown and developed at the National FFA Convention.

Lee Ann Brubeck and Bethany pose for a picture on an old cattle trading floor.

I was thrilled to stop by the Golden Ox. We also stopped by the Hereford House for dinner. These are two places that many past members have told me about over the years. These restaurants are where many members would go for a nice dinner during convention. I felt so fortunate to visit the same ground that people like Leslie Applegate, first National FFA President, walked on. Many past Tennessee State and National Officers reflect fondly upon memories in Kansas City and have shared those memories with me. That trip meant a lot. I hope you'll take a moment to reflect on our organization's history and the people who have made it all possible.


1 Comments:

At March 26, 2010 at 1:02 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Look'in good~ WA FFA -Jodi

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home