National Officers' Blog

Monday, March 1, 2010

The Adventures of Alex

National FFA Week: New Mexico Edition


Here's a recap of my 1,400-mile trip through The Land of Enchantment in pictures! And there's more where this came from! Check out my Facebook page too.

Monday

I visited the San Juan County Fair Grounds in Farmington and had the chance to meet awesome members from the Shiprock, Aztec and Durango FFA chapters! They were an enthusiastic group that's for sure. The Shiprock Chapter made us some tasty Navajo tacos for lunch :)





Tuesday

Mr. Gill and I traveled to Las Vegas (New Mexico- not the one with a CSI) and met with the SUPER fun, active Las Vegas FFA Chapter. Mr. Ledger took us out for blue corn enchiladas with delicious green chile at the Plaza. Students gave up their snow delay to meet with us and I thoroughly enjoyed their homemade cookies! As you can see, some of the hardcore members dyed their hair for FFA Week.




After Las Vegas, we made a trip to Santa Rosa where we met with community and school leaders for lunch. I spent the afternoon having tons of fun with the Santa Rosa and Tucumcari FFA Chapters while we talked about living our values. State officers Ryan and Tell took us to the famous Blue Hole too!




Wednesday

We spent the middle of FFA week on the largest high school campus in the nation with the Carlsbad FFA Chapter cavemen! I got to meet all of the agriculture education classes and co-present with New Mexico State FFA Officers Dusty and Joseph. The Loving FFA Chapter joined us for awhile, sporting their really cool chapter officer polos.






Then we drove to Artesia for the annual chapter pie supper! I ate wayyyyy too much pie and had a ton of fun getting to know their chapter and community members. Man, can they cook!





Thursday

I spent the morning meeting faculty and staff at the New Mexico FFA Center and New Mexico State University. I got to talk with one of their agriculture education classes and discuss the future of agriculture and agriculture education. The future looks bright with the passion and enthusiasm those students bring to the classroom!

Then we drove to Deming to meet with their middle school and high school FFA members. We had some fun in a workshop and then went out to lunch. The chapter officers laughed pretty hard when I turn as red as a fire hydrant and started sweating after taking too big a bite of my tamale!





Friday

My last day of FFA Week, I spent with the chapter who welcomed me at the airport: the Moriarty FFA Chapter! Their enthusiasm, "Happy Friday" cheer and motivated chapter officer team ended my week with a bang!




Overall, I couldn't have asked for a better week! The people were phenomenal. The chapters were fantastic. And the food was... HOT (but delicious)! Thanks for welcoming me with kindness and teaching me all about passion, enthusiasm and the age old question, red or green (chile)?

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home