National Officers' Blog

Monday, March 1, 2010

Levy's Latest: FFA Week in South Carolina

Good morning and greetings from South Carolina! First off, Happy Belated FFA Week! This past week has been one that has been full of amazing, interesting, and valuable experiences. I had great time traveling with Mr. Keith Cox, South Carolina Executive Secretary, and Mrs. Nina Crutchfield, National FFA Staff.


We kicked off the week with dinner at Dr. Dobbins’ house and were joined by the Clemson Collegiate FFA Officers and two State FFA Vice Presidents. Monday was our official first day, full of interaction with FFA members, as we traveled to West Oak High School and Saluda High School. Both schools took me on a tour around their facilities and I was just amazed at some of the opportunities that some of these students are exposed to! After our visit to Saluda, we had a dinner at Piedmont Technical College and were joined by neighboring chapters (Thurmond, Laurens, Abbeyville, and Ridge Springs).
On Tuesday we found ourselves at Midland Valley High School, who was also recently recognized as having a Top Adult Agricultural Education Program. They were presented with a Toyota Tundra on Wednesday and recognized by a Representative from their district. While at the school, we toured their program’s facilities, and learned a little bit about their shooting team, agriscience fair projects, and their courses that students are offered. Midland Valley also had an amazing greenhouse which served as a premiere experiential learning center for their students. You wouldn’t believe how many hands started shooting up to ask me questions when they found out I saw a possum for the first time this week!






After Midland Valley, we headed to Lexington County Technology Center, and the neat thing about this Ag Program was that every student, while in class, had a computer provided to them to use. I have continually been impressed to see what the students have had available to them at these programs and it has been refreshing to see the students so excited about agriculture, agricultural education, and FFA. Lexington High School FFA had put on a banquet for us after the tour and invited the Pelion, Gilbert, Batesburg-Leesville, and Swansea FFA Chapters. Attendance was wonderful and the support was incredible.










Wednesday was a busy day filled with walking around the Capitol and joining 750 FFA Members from across the state on the steps of the Capitol to celebrate FFA Week with the Senators and Representatives. This was the 15th Annual South Carolina Legislature Appreciation Day. This entire day served as a great way for FFA members to get into the offices of their representatives and not only share their appreciation, but also share their stories and what FFA and Agricultural Education have done for them! I encourage all of you, if you ever get the chance and you are in South Carolina during FFA Week, to see this wonderful event!
Thursday was such a day to remember as I was fortunate to visit the largest chapter in South Carolina, Manning High School FFA. As we drove in to the school their members were lined on both sides of the road all the way to our parking space and they released blue and gold balloons into the air! It was such a sight to see. After, I went on a tour of their Ag. Dept. and their entire school and then we attended a luncheon where they recognized three individuals with the Honorary Chapter Degree and I was fortunate enough to be a part of it. Then we headed over to Lakewood High School, where I had a smaller group but nonetheless so welcoming! The students were so excited, and I had such a wonderful time delivering a workshop and learning about the chapter over dinner as well! I also will forever remember Lakewood as the chapter where I drove my first tractor! Thank you for the memories y'all!






Friday was the last day of my time there in South Carolina, and I had a lot in store with my visits to McBee High School and Indian Land High School. At McBee I was recognized as an Honorary Chapter Member! What a privilege! Thank you for that, and after breakfast and speaking with the chapter, I had a small opportunity to visit with a freshman class! A lot of them reminded me of when I was a freshman! And finally at Indian Land I had the chance to interact with the students and play a lot of team building experiences! There school facilities were amazing and they are growing which only makes for a great combination! I’m pumped and I have been soaking it all in because there was only one FFA Week of 2010 and South Carolina FFA, well, y'all made it one to remember! Thank you so much!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home