National Officers' Blog

Sunday, July 4, 2010

The Adventures of Alex: Pennsylvania State Convention

I had a BLAST in Pennsylvania!!! True, I was in Penn State country (a rival of Michigan State), but between the people, the FFA members and the Waffle Shop, I couldn’t have asked for more fun or excitement!

I loved getting to hang out with the AMAZING 2009-2010 Pennsylvania State Officers – Molly, Billy, Heather, Alex, Tyler, Allison, Sam, Brittany, Billy, Caleb, and Coty. They are some of the most dedicated, fun, cohesive teams I’ve ever seen. I was blessed to get to know each of them on a personal level during my trip.

I got to eat with some awesome chapters in the cafeteria, boogie down with some skilled dancers at the convention dance and watch some outstanding members being recognized on stage during the three convention sessions.

But what really stood out to me was something I heard from Molly, the State FFA President. She said that before convention began, one of her fellow officers had asked their State Executive Secretary, Mr. Brammer if he thought they were ready for convention.

Mr. Brammer responded, “It doesn’t really matter if you’re ready or not. You’ve spent time memorizing and preparing and that’s all you can do. Now, even if you walk out on stage and forget your lines, speak from your heart NOT your head. That’s what people really care about anyway.”

Mr. and Mrs. Brammer, Pennsylvania state staff, personify living with heart. For those of you who heard my keynote at a State Convention, you know that heart is something that I’m truly passionate about. Yet, I’m not sure if I’ve ever met people who live up to this message like the Brammers. They give everything they have to their “kids” (the State Officers) and care about them more as people than as State FFA Officers. They have served the Association with real heart, not just a job-like obligation. They BELIEVE in people and never let life get too serious.

What would the world look like if we all let our heart (not our head) be our guide? How much happier would we be if we channeled the “secret” the Brammers know? Why won’t we let ourselves believe in other people?

On this Fourth of July, let’s think about where our country would be without people who served and continue to serve with their heart, not their head. What language would we be speaking? What religion would we have to practice? What flag would we be forced to salute? What fear would we live with every day?

Let’s thank people like the Brammers and those who serve in the armed forces who let their hearts be their guide. Happy Fourth of July and God Bless America!

Check out Facebook for the pictures! My Internet connection won't handle them- sorry for the inconvenience!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home