National Officers' Blog

Monday, October 11, 2010

The Adventures of Alex: The Big E and Missouri

Gosh, this is a crazy, weird, exciting, sad, satisfied feeling… I just wrapped up my last two weeks with FFA members before convention and it seems like everything has flown by in a blur.

First, I spent three days with some outstanding Eastern Region FFA members at the Big E – The Eastern States Exposition. It’s a multistate fair that showcases livestock and agricultural literacy while sprinkling in a HUGE midway, carnival shows and a circus. One of the coolest parts of the fairgrounds is that each New England state has a “house” jam-packed with tons of stuff from that state – food, crafts and products. Like, the Maine house sells 80,000 potatoes over the course of the three-week fair. Vermont has a Ben and Jerry’s booth and Massachusetts has fresh cider and donuts. Needless to say, I ate my way through the fair.

But the crowning jewel of the Big E is that FFA members from Maine to Virginia, Delaware to Ohio come together to compete in 20 Career Development Events. Over the course of two days, students tested their knowledge and demonstrated their skills.

The three best parts of the week?

•One, hanging out with the State President interns and our late night, cross-country trip to Olive Garden.
•Two, getting to meet tons of Eastern Region FFA members who were so excited to be at the Big E.
•Three, seeing the look on the Ohio Agriculture Mechanics team when they were announced as the winners of the contest. They were sitting right in front of my table and I’ll never forget the way their eyes lit up and smiles spilled off their faces when their names were called. That excitement, passion and success is what FFA is all about.

My first trip to the Big E was nothing short of AMAZING and I can’t wait to go back! I highly recommend it to everyone interested in agriculture, FFA and a fun time.

I spent the second week traveling with the nicest, most compassionate, service-driven woman I’ve ever met, Mrs. Nancy Alford in the Missouri Corn Board’s corn van. We visited three or four schools a day, and then headed to an Area Leadership Conference each evening.

On Monday, we visited Bourbon, Cuba, Owensville and Hermann. I loved hanging out with the Owensville officer team and taking some crazy pictures. It was really exciting to hear that Cuba won the Area Rituals Contest too!

On Tuesday, we were off to Norwood, Thayer, Koshkonong and Houston. The Thayer FFA cookout was a hit and I loved getting to know their officers and members over some delicious hamburgers.

On Wednesday, Mrs. Alford and I hit up Puxico, Naylor, Neelyville, Twin Rivers and Holcomb. I ate WAY too many donuts in Puxico and even got to participate in their “Meet Me at the Pole” morning. The Area Leadership Conference in Holcomb was especially fun and dinner at Strawberry’s BBQ was amazing.


Thursday was my last day of visits and we traveled to Fredericktown, Woodland, Meadow Heights and Sikeston. The trip up the twisty roads to Woodland almost did me in, but lunch was well worth it. Meadow Heights was a great last visit and their officers cracked me up!

My week in Missouri was one of my favorites of the entire year because I got to spend time with chapter members, watch them shine and have fun with some of the most passionate, driven people this country has to offer. It captured the spirit of FFA and has fueled me through the stressful craziness of convention preparation.

Thank you to everyone I met at the Big E and in Missouri!! You’ve reminded me what this year and this organization are all about.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home