National Officers' Blog

Monday, June 8, 2009

Alabama State Convention

Alabama State Convention

Where do I even begin?! Alabama’s State FFA Convention was AWESOME! The sweet tea, southern gentlemen, smiling faces and genuinely nice, kind-hearted people sold me on Alabama within my first hour of arriving at convention! Justin Posey, the Alabama National Officer Candidate, picked me up from the airport and we shared a great ride from Montgomery to Auburn. He is a very impressive young man. : ) I was able to meet the state officer team right after arriving in Auburn. Anna Leigh, Zach, Michelle, Brandy and Raven added to my excitement for convention by greeting me with their smiling faces. I was so impressed because they were so calm and relaxed amidst the craziness of all things “pre-convention”. Convention was kicked off the right way with the String Band Contest. People…I was BLOWN AWAY!!!!!! I have never seen so much FFA talent in one place at one time! The string bands are a piece of my national officer experience that I will remember forever. They were so talented. You could tell that each of the students were doing what they love and sharing their passion of music with their fellow FFA members. It was cool. I was really, really blown away. The convention also has a Quartet Contest. It is just as crazy! They are all so talented and have beautiful voices. They can all perform too! It was awesome to watch.

Josh Sundquist was the keynote speaker. He rocked his keynote! He had us on the edge of our seats, laughing and listening to all that he had to say. His message was cool too. ‘Life is tough. And life is beautiful.’ He did awesome.

All of the state officers did awesome at their parts and retiring address. I enjoyed getting to know all of them and the convention staff— James Paul Bailey; Jamison, from Georgia; Lauren Lewis, from Florida; and the state staff as well.

James Paul (past AL state officer) and Wiley (current AL State Secretary), or the ‘Bailey Brothers’ as they are lovingly referred to, played some bluegrass music for me the last night! It was such a treat to hear the guys sing and play for a while. Those two are some talented young men.

Overall, Alabama was unforgettable! I will take the memories that I made in Alabama with me forever. They are some great folks in Alabama, and I miss them already! Thank you Alabama FFA for an incredible time and lasting memories.

-Laila






Keynote Speaker Josh Sundquist!!! He was awesome.







The newly elected Alabama State FFA Officer team!!!!!!!!!!!!!










4 Comments:

At June 11, 2009 at 6:13 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'm glad you enjoyed Alabama, and we hope you will come back and visit us soon!

 
At June 18, 2009 at 1:42 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Laila was incredible too! Her points that She spoke on really got me to thinking that i should make more of an attempt to make someones day!

Amber Green(Woodland alabama FFA chapter)

 
At October 28, 2009 at 7:59 AM , Blogger Josh Sundquist said...

Laila -- great to see you again at nationals this past week!!

-josh

 
At November 18, 2009 at 3:28 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Had fun eating lunch with you!!!lol

Ethan Franks (Cherokee Alabama FFA Chapter)

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home