National Officers' Blog

Tuesday, April 28, 2009

Paul's Agricultural Education Challenge

A couple days ago I met a woman on one of my flights that sparked a conversation about the FFA lettering that she saw on my jacket. As I started to explain that we are an organization formorly known as the Future Farmers of America that started in 1928 and how we have diversified and grown to over 507,763 of tomorrows' greatest leaders. I taled about the fact that there are over 22 million employees in the agricultural industry in over 300 career areas and all the opportunity that our students have. As I went on and on about agriculture she looked at me and said, "Well isnt it better for everyone if we just import our food from other countries and use all organic for that matter?!" This is when I knew the conversation was about to get interesting. I visited with her for much of the duration of the flight, and I came away with a action that we all need to take.



So often in agriculture we talk to people about agriculture who know about agriculture. We have to start educating all people about the need for a strong and sustainable food system HERE in America. We need to tell our story. Agriculturalists are progressive individuals who are feeding hungry mouths all over the world, leading scientific research to new medical discoveries, and serving as a means of national security in our country. The coolest part of all that is the fact that as FFA members we are being prepared for careers in all these areas!



And nows it's time that we start sharing that with others! Talk to your friends, community leaders, teachers, and everyone you possible can about the difference we are making in the agricultural industry. Our story is an amazing tale- now we must all go and tell it!



-PDM

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home