National Officers' Blog

Thursday, May 7, 2009

Oregon State Convention!!

Hey Errebody! So… where have I been recently? From the East to West Coast and a few fabulous places in between! I started my adventure of state conventions in the Beaver State of Oregon! I have always loved Oregon as they are my neighbor and all; in fact my mom often expresses her desire to move there for their beautiful sights, no sales tax and kind people. Having spent about a week there I now know just what my mom was talking about.
Their State Convention was held in Le Grande, OR with approximately 1,600 people in attendance. Flying over and driving through Oregon I was surprised to see so many vastly different landscapes. There were rivers and lakes, surrounded in some areas by beautiful green pastures, and in other areas pine trees, snow and mountains. Le Grande was a small community but very welcoming and the perfect place for my first state convention. State officers- Thomas, Julie, Patty, Quad, Tiffany and Allen did an excellent job bringing their convention and Oregon FFA to Life (they even had really cool life-sized cut outs)!


This is a picture with a past Oregon State officer and the visiting state officers at their convention. They were a lot of fun! I wish them all the best as they celebrate their own conventions! From Left to Right: Laura from Idaho, PSO John from Oregon, Tammy from Washington, Levy from California, Luis from Washington, and Michelle from Colorado (who was actually just on a road trip and happened to come through Le Grande during convention- how cool).


Visiting State Officers at the Dance!


They even had fireworks at their convention! How cool is that! After watching the fireworks we all loaded mini-buses and headed to pizza!


Aboard the Perrydale Mini-bus!!

Astoria FFA!!

Perrrydale FFA- Winners of the 2007 Million Hour Challenge!



The above pictures are from a community marshmallow roasting, song singing and story-telling event. In attendance were the Astoria chapter, the Perrydale chapter and the Paisely chapter. The campfire was a blast! I inquisitively watched the craftsmanship of Ryan, Joe and Jesse from Perrydale who have roasting marshmallows down to a science. I also learned that the Paisley students also go to a really small school- it was fun to learn about their campuses’ unique activities and opportunities. Then we were serenaded by the ever talented Astoria chapter members with a variety of campfire songs. Hutch (As they call their advisor from Perrydale -you’d recognize him from his hat) also chimed in with some great campfire melodies. Thanks again for inviting us!


2009-2010 Oregon State Officers!
From Left to Right: Jordyn Coon, Jana Schiely, Derek Burbank, Tyson Snider, Nick West and Samuel Palacio!
This is a picture of the newly elected Oregon State Officer Team! I look forward to seeing them all again at Oregon’s NLCSO. They’ve started the year off great with their first executive meeting held at convention just hours after being elected. I had a unique experience that really helped me get to know many of the candidates for Oregon State office- I got to play a small part (as a stakeholder) in one of their interview rounds! My role in the conversation was to be an uninterested freshmen FFA member, not only did I enjoy this but I was extremely impressed with all candidates composure, articulation and caring nature in our conversation (with of course an uninterested freshmenJ they convinced me to stay in FFA lol).

Congrats to all of Oregon FFA!!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home